The idea of using Spam as a burger transformed into a new and delicious Scott’s Spam Burger. Ray Scott reminded me of how we had to eat Span as kids. Remembering how we ended up fighting over who would open the cans of Spam. The cans had to be open on side by turning a key. So what is Spam? Well it’s canned processed pork, that is something like canned ham. Hormel developed Spam and became popular in Hawaiian Islands because it’s use as a military food. Span will last for a very long time without spoiling. Because it’s full of salt and preservatives to cure the pork meat. The Hawaiian natives during World War 2 became hooked on eating Spam. Still today Span still one of the more popular foods in Hawaii, so this inspired the Scott’s Spam Burger.
To make the Scott’s Spam Burger grill the teriyaki marinated Spam Steak, and served it on a Hawaiian Bun. Topping each burger with grilled fresh pineapple and garnished with Hawaiian Sauce. It all started with flavoring sliced Spam with teriyaki sauce. This boost the average tasting Spam that I had as kid to a new tasty treat. Hawaiian buns are all the rage right now. Because they are sweet, moist and so good a perfect match for this sandwich. Using fresh pineapple slice grilled will be so sweet and tasty addition. Of course you could use canned pineapple rings in a pinch and still get good tasting results too.
To make this extra special, I am going back to 80’s when I made thousands of Hawaiian Burgers. Topping each of the burgers with a special Hawaiian sauce. Made with mayonnaise, whipped cream, horseradish and chopped toasted macadamia nuts. This was one of my most popular burgers. Because grinding fresh steak trim into beef patties, then brushing teriyaki sauce onto each burger. Then broiled the burgers on a salamander grill to perfection. Man where they good, something about teriyaki sauce brushed onto burger brought out flavors because of caramelization. Back in 80’s we used canned pineapple rings because it was simple. I always brushed a little teriyaki sauce on each pineapple rings because they where canned pineapple rings. The key to whole burger was Hawaiian Sauce with chopped macadamia nuts.
This sandwich was so good it made you smack your lips every time. Transforming the Hawaiian Burger into Scott’s Spam Burger is totally winner I am sure you will enjoy this creative tasty treat.
So let’s go to famous skit by Monty Python’s SPAM
|2 people||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||Passive Time|
|6 minutes||20 minutes|
Grilled Spam marinated in teriyaki sauce, and served on a Hawaiian Bun. Garnished with a slice of grilled fresh pineapple, that is topped with a special Hawaiian Sauce and sprinkled with macadamia nuts.
- 2 slices Spam thick slices
- 4 tbsp teriyaki sauce to marinate and brush when grilling
- 2 buns Hawaiian Buns sliced in half
- 2 slices Pineapple trimmed, and sliced thick
- 2 tbsp macadamia nuts chopped
- 2 tbsp Whipped cream
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 2 tsp horseradish root grated finely
- 1 tbsp macadamia nuts chopped fine
- Remove Spam from the can carefully and cut thick slices about half inch thick. Place in non reactive container.
- Pour the teriyaki sauce over each of the Spam slices. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Whip heavy cream until stiff, then fold in mayonnaise, grated horseradish root, and chopped macadamia nuts. Place Special Hawaiian Sauce in container and refrigerate.
- Heat grill to 375°F direct heat. Place marinated sliced Spam on grill. Close cover and allow teriyaki Spam to brown and caramelize. I give grilling time about 3 minutes max to brown.
- Brush turn Spam slices over and brush with leftover teriyaki sauce. Cover grill and allow the teriyaki Spam to brown on the other slide. Again this should take no more then 3 minutes.
- Remove the grilled Spam Burgers when properly browned and have good grill markings. Place grilled Spam Burgers on resting plate covered with foil.
- Place each sliced Hawaiian Bun on grill to toast. This should take under minute. Remove promptly so buns don't burn.
- Place sliced fresh pineapple on grill brushed with teriyaki sauce and grill. The pineapple should caramelize quickly.
- Place grilled SPAM on Hawaiian Bun bottom and grilled pineapple filled with special Hawaiian Sauce topped with chopped Macadamia Nuts.
Serve with freshly cut up fruit to complement flavors.