Caramel Custard is classic using simple ingredients with lots of variations of flavor profiles. Let’s explore all the possibilities using the base recipe as a guide. Then by adding just a few extra ingredients to enhance profile to new and tasty custard. By adding almond extract and amaretto liquor making recipe into Amaretto Caramel Custard.
Base Caramel Custard Recipe:
Caramel Custard has two components, a sweet egg custard and caramelized sugar that’s place on bottom of ramekin. Start first by making a caramelized sugar that’s poured onto bottom of each greased ramekin. To make caramelized sugar has two techniques that can be done.
Standard way is to have sugar and water mixture cooked in skillet, until sugar becomes golden amber color. Note that the Side edges of skillet needs to be brushed with water to prevent sugar crystals forming. This important because if sugar crystal from they cause chain reaction making the whole sugar mixture crystallized. If this happens the crystalized mixture has to be discarded and start the process all over again.
The second method is quicker method that let’s you melt sugar in clean skillet with not water just sugar. This is a little more tricky, but once you master the technique it’s faster and has great results in smaller batches. Typically using 10 inch triply stainless steel skillet, with 1/3rd cup sugar over medium high heat. Shaking skillet constantly to move sugar around so doesn’t burn. Them pouring into 6 greased ramekins evenly. Note that using higher temperature silicone spatula to help get sugar evenly out of skillet.
Sweet Custard Base Recipe:
Sweet custard needs to have 2 1/2 cups milk, 3 eggs, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla to made great baked custard. Milk is the major liquid in making a custard, the classic custard uses whole milk. But skim milk will work if your diet conscious, having less body into the custard profile. Use a whisk to beat large eggs with sugar and vanilla until blended. The final ingredient is ground nutmeg that’s sprinkled on top of the custard before it is bake.
The techniques used to making a sweet custard is simple process of doing certain steps in order. The first step is to heat your milk. This could be done on range top in sauce pan on low heat, to prevent scorching. Using the microwave is safe and faster way to heat the milk in Pyrex measure. Next step is to mix together the sugar, eggs and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Whisking until egg mixture is blended well. Continue on to next step is to incorporate the hot milk into egg mixture slowly. Whisking mixture until combined, then strained back into Pyrex measure. This technique removes excess air from whisking and makes custard easier to pour into greased ramekins. Then dust the tops of the filled custards with nutmeg.
Bake the custards in a water bath in 325 degrees oven about 30 minutes. Checking custards with pairing knife, when inserted near center of custard the knife should come out clean. Remove custards onto cooling rack until cooled to room temperature.
Classic Caramel Custard:
Classic caramel custard is a basic sweet custard that has caramelized sugar on bottom of the filled ramekins when baked. This produces a wonderful caramel sauce when the Caramel custard Is unfolded.
|6 Servings||15 Minutes|
|Cook Time||Passive Time|
|30 Minutes||2 + Hours|
Caramel Custard is classic using simple ingredients with lots of variations of flavor profiles.
- 1/3 Cup sugar
- 3 Large eggs
- 1/3 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt Optional
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 Cups milk Scaled
- 1/2 Teaspoon almond extract
- 2 Tablespoons Amaretto liquor
- 1/2 Cup Almonds sliced Toasted as garnish
- 1 Tablespoons orange zest
- 1/2 Teaspoon Orange extract
- 2 Tablespoons Grand Mariner
- 1/2 Large orange Peeled and sectioned
- Place sugar into a dry medium size skillet, cook over medium high heat. Shaking with circular motion to keep sugar evenly distributed over skillet. Try not to sir with high temperature silicone spatula, this tend to clump sugar.
- Adjusting heat to just right temperature so sugar caramelize evenly. When caramelized sugar reaches a nice amber color remove from heat immediately.
- Pour the caramelized sugar into greased ramekins. Try to evenly divid the caramelized sugar between each ramekin.
- Combine the base eggs, sugar and vanilla extract together.
- Then add your variations in this example orange zest, orange extract and Grand Marnier Liquor. Best well to combine custard mixture.
- Next heat the milk to scalding about 150+ degrees. I like using the microwave.
- Pour the scalded milk into custard mixture slowly. Beating as you pour. This tempers milk so eggs don’t curtal.
- Continue beating custard mixture until eggs mixture is completely incorporated.
- Strain through mesh strainer the custard mixture, this removes bubbles and makes a smooth custard.
- Pour strained custard mixture into caramel ramekins, evenly distributed custard mixture.
- Sprinkling nutmeg over top of each custard.
- Place on a tray that has rim good rim.
- Pour warm water on rimmed tray to make a water bath for custards. It needs only inch of water. Then bake at 325 degrees oven for 35 + minutes.
- Check the custards with pairing knife, inserted about half way to middle of the custards. If it comes out clean remove from oven. But if comes out wet bake a few more minutes,
- Remove custards from water bath onto cooling rack. This will continue to cook as the cool. When room temperature, cover each custard with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Amaretto caramel custard unmold from ramekins by running a pairing knife around ramekins. Turning the ramekins upside down onto dessert plate, tapping the ramekins to release the custard. Then garnish with nuts and whipped cream.
- Grand Mariner caramel custard unmold from ramekins by running a pairing knife around ramekins. Turning the ramekins upside down onto dessert plate, tapping the ramekins to release the custard. Then garnish with orange zest, orange sections, and whipped cream.
Caramel Custard ideas
amaretto caramel custard use almond extract, amaretto liquor, and garnish with almonds.
Grand Mariner caramel custard use orange extract, orange extract and Grand Mariner liquor. Garnish with orange sections, orange zest and whipped cream.