After roasting beer chicken on the grill, there was still chicken left over. Thinking to my self what can be made with this remaining chicken meat? Why not make Arroz con pollo a wonderful Latin American classic. The recipe will take a little time to make, but it’s wonderfully good. I didn’t have sour oranges using a combination of fresh lemon and orange juice balanced with small amount of sugar as a substitute. This dish has only a Chef Dave’s rating of 1 heat level, so it’s very mild. If you what a hotter version, just add more chilies of your choice to the rice dish.
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp annatto seed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell peppers finely chopped
- 1/4 cup manzanilla olives cut in half
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp chicken base
- 1 cup tomatoes peel, seeded and diced
- 1 cup black beans cooked and drained
- 2 cup peas cooked
- 12 ounces chicken breasts roasted, bones removed and diced
- 1 small lemon juiced
- 1 small orange juiced
- 1 tbsp cilantro minced
- 1 tsp sugar
- To make the Sofrito first heat the annatto seeds with olive oil over low heat for about 2 minutes. Notice that the color of oil will be bright yellow orange color. Remove all the annatto seeds and discard.
- Add to the infused olive oil the garlic, onion, peppers, olives and cook over medium heat until tender and fragrant. This should take about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add to fragrant Sofrito the chile flakes and bay leaf cook for 60 seconds over low heat.
Cooking the Rice
- Add to Sofrito mixture long grain rice stirring as it cooks for about 1 minute over medium heat.
- Add diced tomatoes, chicken stock and chicken base stirring mixture to incorporate. Cook with lid for 12 minutes on medium low heat just enough to see a little steam coming out rim of lid.
- After rice mixture cooked for 12 minutes remove from heat. Do not open lid and let rest for 10 minutes.
Arroz con pollo
- While the Rice is cooking combine the diced roasted chicken meat with the juice of lemon and orange, cilantro, and sugar in bowl. Let rest for 20 minutes while rice is cooking.
- After rice has rested 10 minutes open lid and add the marinated roasted chicken meat, drained black beans and peas to cooked rice. Stir in the added ingredients and cover with lid. Turn heat on low and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve Arroz con pollo in baking dish family style or dish up in large rim bowl with olives and cilantro as garnish.
Share this Recipe